6 New Train Routes We’re Excited About
From scenic journeys through New Zealand's wilderness to snowy adventures in the Swiss Alps, these new train experiences have us excited about the future of rail travel.
These Luxury Trains Are Worth Booking Just for Their Dining Cars
Meals on these trains could rival any Michelin-starred restaurant.
Points & Miles
You Can Claim Amtrak Points After Your Train Ride—Here's How to Do It
Points can add up to perks like free rides, complimentary upgrades, and access to lounges in train stations.
A Peek Inside the New Orient Express Train Reveals It’s More Glamorous Than Ever
The refurbished train has sumptuous interiors with modern flair, plus perks like round suites and Champagne call buttons.
6 Scenic Amtrak Routes to Book Just for the Views
These trains are the best way to see the variety of landscapes the U.S. has to offer—from the Pacific coastline to desert canyons.
- Train JourneysThese 7 Scenic Trains Offer the Best Views of JapanTake your pick from countryside sightseeing routes to city-bound bullet trains and private train cars with luxe suites.
- Train JourneysThe Best Trains in the World: 2022 Readers’ Choice AwardsThe world’s most swoon-worthy way to slow travel? These train trips, from European routes to further-flung destinations like India and Australia.
- Train JourneysThe Belmond Orient Express Is Launching New December Routes to Europe’s Most Magical Winter CitiesPassengers will be able to soak in Europe's festive holiday charm on board the decadent train.
- News & AdviceAmtrak Has Canceled All Long-Haul Train Routes Due to a Looming Freight Rail StrikeWhile the strike doesn't involve Amtrak, it has serious consequences for its routes.
- Train Journeys7 New Sleeper Train Routes Around the World We Can’t Wait to TryThese vintage-inspired lines whisk travelers through Asia, Africa, and Europe.
- Train JourneysAmtrak Is Restarting One of Its Most Scenic Routes Just in Time for Fall GetawaysThe Amtrak Cascades, which winds through the natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest, has been paused since 2020.
- Train JourneysThese 11 Scenic Canadian Train Trips Take You to Awe-Inspiring Northern WondersThey're the best way to see the wilds of Canada, from Banff to beluga watching and the Northern Lights.
Train Travel News
- Women Who TravelWomen Who Travel Podcast: Train Tripping Around India With Author Monisha RajeshHost Lale Arikoglu and Rajesh explore the joys of train travel—and hear from listeners about their own rail journeys.
- Train JourneysThe Orient Express Is Resuming Its Legendary Journeys From Paris—and It’s More Glamorous Than EverThe iconic train is coming back to life in 2024, replete with Art Deco details and opulent suites.
- Train JourneysThese Scenic Train Rides Have the Most Stunning Views in the U.S.Weave through deserts, mountain ranges, national parks, and more.
- Train JourneysHow I Pulled Off a Four-Day Trip Through Germany on a €9 TicketTraveling through Germany's charming Bavarian towns and into the foothills of the Alps for less than 10 Euros in train fare.
- ShoppingHow to Pack for Overnight Train Trips: Everything First-Timers Should KnowIncluding how to get a good night's sleep in economy.
- Train JourneysAmtrak Is Launching a New Route From NYC to the Berkshires—And Tickets Just Went On Sale‘The Berkshire Flyer’ will begin service on July 8.
- Train JourneysMeet the Retirees Who Serve as Volunteer Guides on Amtrak TrainsAfter a two-year pause because of COVID, Trails & Rails volunteers are back onboard Amtrak trains to talk about the history, geology, and national parks out the window.
Leaning Into Slow Travel on a 1,200-Mile Train Trip Through Western Canada
This train offers comfortable seats, room to stretch, and breathtaking views for just over $100.
Buy One Train Ticket, Get One Free During Amtrak’s Valentine’s Day Sale
The sale runs through February 16 for travel from March through August.
These New Sleeper Train Routes Are the Most Stylish Way to Travel Through Europe
Meander through Italy, France, and Sweden inside your own comfortable compartment.
A New Version of the Orient Express Train Is Coming to Italy in 2023
The Orient Express ‘La Dolce Vita’ will whisk travelers through 14 Italian regions as well as Istanbul, Paris, and Croatia.
What Train Travel Looks Like for British Royals
The British Royal Train is just as exclusive as it sounds.
Europe Is Undergoing a Sleeper Train Renaissance
A bevy of new sleeper trains are cropping up throughout the region—and offering perks like spacious beds, room service, and craft cocktails.
A Guide to the Eurail Pass: What to Know About Train Travel in Europe
The multi-stop rail ticket is an iconic and budget-friendly way to tour Europe—as long as you're maximizing the perks.
Train Travel in the U.S. Is Getting More Luxurious
Upscale sight-seeing tours, new products from Amtrak, and planned high-speed routes are making U.S. train travel more comfortable and convenient.
Train Travel With Kids: Tips for a Smooth Journey from Parents and Travel Experts
Whether you’re traveling with toddlers or teens.
7 Best Amtrak Travel Packages for Visiting Coastal Cities and National Parks
These train itineraries—some of which bundle hotel stays and sightseeing tours—meander through the likes of Seattle, the Grand Canyon, and Yellowstone.
A Rail Journey Across America’s Smallest Towns
An Amtrak train trip is the ideal way to have big adventures in America’s smallest towns.
Meet the U.S. Tourists Who Only Travel by Train
For these frequent travelers, a rail journey tops any other mode of transport.
How Pullman Porters Influenced a Generation of Black Train Travelers
Aside from assisting passengers, these train workers did everything from disseminating Black newspapers to training young employees.
This Upscale Train Takes Travelers Through the Rockies to Utah’s National Parks
A trip on the new Rocky Mountaineer train in the U.S., with views of Utah's rock formations and unlimited drinks from the beverage cart.
News & Advice
Traveling Through New York’s Penn Station Just Got a Lot More Glamorous
The new Moynihan Train Hall gives travelers plenty of reasons to linger at Penn Station.
Our most popular newsletter for destination inspiration, travel tips, trip itineraries, and everything else you need to be an expert traveler in this beautiful world